Traditionally, I see most SEM experts divide SEO into 2 types: on page and off page. I like to think of a 3rd category: site wide optimization. Here’s my top 10 tips to keep your entire site healthy.
- Don’t use session id’s in your URLs. These can create duplicate content problems.
- Avoid using more than one parameter (or ID) in a url
- Better yet, eliminate parameters entirely by using static links
- Submit an XML sitemap to Google sitemaps and Yahoo Site Explorer
- Create a physical sitemap
- Create a Robots.txt file that defines your sitemap and lists exclusions
- Don’t stuff keywords in your primary navigation. Site wide links are devalued.
- Link to your SEO landing pages contextually. In other words, within a decent size body of text.
About Palmer Web Marketing